Friday, October 15, 2010

Work Continues

Earth Language sunrise on 10-15-10
Don had the sniffles this week and so he stayed home to rest. Whenever he is under the weather, he diagnoses himself with distemper.

This past week, I have been working by myself, stuccoing the outside of the dome. It is like icing a cake compared to stuccoing the interior. Gravity has decided to be my friend. It is more than satisfying to see the rusty metal bars and wire erased from sight with each brush stroke. I have been staring at it for so long.



As usual, this week I have been happily distracted with music events in the area and small gatherings with friends. My closest neighbors Ben and Vanessa are back in town to work on their house as well and it is motivating. We are a neighborhood under construction!

Don came by today in his functional, but glitchy sedan and was very excited about the progress on the dome. He told me that he'd give anything for a Model T Ford. I made him some french toast and he went on his way, holding the front door slightly open as he drove in lieu of his broken window.

6 comments:

Gwen said...

Beautiful sunrise. Glad you combined your blogs. Can't wait to see the finished dome. Can't wait to get moving on my own setup. Patience is not a virtue of mine.

Wayne said...

Hi Trevor,

Thanks again for all the info. What a nice shot almost looks like you caught one of those ufo's on the ground. haha. We have decided to go the biodome building direction. You can google biodome for info. I will do as you mentioned and wait till I arrive to purchase and walk the land. C ya.

Anonymous said...

What is the size of your dome? How much head room? Did you weld all the rebar together? I like the dome idea and was thinking of doing the same.
Maybe mine will be earth sheltered. Thanks for showing off your building skills. Darren

Unknown said...

Leave some work for me!! Can't wait to come help.

trevor.reichman said...

Thanks, Ginger. Patience is the challenge with anything DIY.

Wayne, another friend of mine is also considering a biodome. I don't have any experience with it though and can't make a recommendation either way.

The dome has an 18 foot diameter and has a 250 square foot floor with plenty of headroom. I'm planning on covering the structure with earthen materials (cob).

Chad, I've saved PLENTY of work for you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Trevor,

Glad to see your dome is coming along, here in marathon we have finished using the forms and will get them back to you as soon as John's Trailer is available, check the photos on my blog: www.reb-flo.blogspot.com

All the best
Rebecca (and the rest of us at La Loma Del Chivo.)