Sunday, October 10, 2010

Chinati 10-10-10

I drove up to Marfa to perform music at the historical Paisano hotel during the Chinati open house festival, Marfa's biggest weekend. I performed three sets on a beautiful Saturday evening to a packed courtyard of friendly art enthusiasts. They were kind to me. It is satisfying to play for a crowd interested in hearing original works rather than the familiar standards because that is what I do.

After the show, I was energized but tired at the same time. My neighbors in Terlingua let me stay at "Trailer Marfa", their Marfa getaway home. I was planning to take a short nap, but slept through the night, missed some potential drunken interactions, and woke up the next morning to meet up for breakfast with a couple of friends, which ended up morphing into lunch instead.




I strolled over to the Chinati Foundation to check out a new exhibit, but as usual gravitated to Donald Judd's permanent aluminum box installations, a perfect sanctuary that is complimented by the reflections of Marfa's signature cartoon sky.

Another highlight included a celebration of the old fashioned clothesline, which also featured my neighbor John Wells' pedal powered washing machine.

A good weekend.

No comments: