Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Ruby gets a Starter Transplant in Tucson

Ruby in Tucson with Terlingua dust. She could sure use a shower.

Ruby received a starter transplant in Tucson. She has had a worsening condition for over two months now and yesterday morning after 10 tries to get her started, I finally got her some medical attention. She only has catastrophic coverage, so this preventative procedure was out of pocket. Luckily, I found a place in Tucson that only works on Volvos and did the job for half of what everyone else quoted me. That is because they use salvaged authentic Volvo parts rather than new junky versions. She has been given new life and is now much more excited to get started in the mornings. 


I am going to try my best to report from the road, but there isn't a whole lot of time left over after driving for hours, and then being the roadie, sound man, merch person, promoter, booker, AND performer. These are common duties of the modern troubadour.
The price of gas in Terlingua when I left was $4.228 and rising.
I got enough gas to get me to Alpine, where gas is 30 cents less.

This past weekend took me to the Paisano Hotel in Marfa, where I performed in the courtyard as planned, and at the last minute was also asked to do a pre-show in the Ballroom where there was a fundraiser and auction to purchase a Therapeutic horse. Unplanned.
The Horse Therapist
 While in Marfa, I had the privelege of attending my friend Alyce Santoro's art installation which was presented by Ballroom Marfa. Alyce has developed a 'sonic' material woven from old cassette tapes. In this exhibit, she combined it with her other passion, sailing, by weaving sails out of the material.
Alyce Santoro
The next morning, I feasted on a delicious vegan casserole, salad, and some ice cream at the Chinati Foundation's free brunch during their annual Community Day event.
Chinati Brunch
As I headed out of Marfa, I passed by the house that started the 300,000 acre fire that engulfed Far West Texas in latter April.
Rock House Fire Starter
Sunset in Big Bend - April 29th, 2011. 
And this was the view from my last show in the Big Bend until the Fall and also the first of 22 shows in this tour. A good way to end and begin.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a good start. Maybe you can treat Ms. Ruby to a nice car wash along the way.