Saturday, December 26, 2009

12/25/09





I woke up this morning to 25 degrees, but I was wrapped warmly in my sleeping bag. There were some fragile ice crystals on my red wagon. Just to breathe on them erases them from existence. They quickly retreated with the emergence of the sun.


Just like last year, Santa came by to give me some candy. He told me that I was good enough. I don't think that he is as strict this far south.




Yesterday, my friend and local musician Jim Keaveny came by to lend me a hand with some shelves, furthering the spacial potential of this 120 square foot...cabin. I spent today organizing and adding a few more shelves.




It is nice to finally have complete protection from the wind and a door that I can open and close. This little shed, though not insulated, still manages to retain some of the heat from my little propane heater. It is probably due to the thermal mass created from all my belongings being crammed into a small space.


My one battery in my battery bank is almost dead. I can only use my computer when there is full sun, as my power is pretty much coming right off the panels, with the dead battery merely acting as a conduit. My one battery worked great for two years, but it is time to deposit a couple new batteries into the bank. My friend Ryan, the solar guy out here, tells me that the more batteries in the bank, the longer they all last, because they are all sharing the labor. Makes sense.

9 comments:

Scavenger said...

Trevor,

What are you using for a propane heater? Whatever it is I hope it is vented well.
Hopefully in the upcoming new year you can finish your dome.

jandean said...

Warms my heart to see that French Press. Salud.

Unknown said...

jim keaveny rocks. so does trevor. :)

trevor.reichman said...

I'm just using a little Mr Heater that runs on propane. There is a vent in the shed and I also keep the window cracked. I definitely don't sleep with it on, but you are right to emphasize caution.

Yes, Jim Keaveny rocks. And so do french presses.

MsBelinda said...

I love your new shelves. You are very organized and that is a definite plus when living in a small place.

Glad to hear that Santa is not as strict down south, maybe when I move there I might actually get him to pay me a visit, lol!!

Gwen said...

That's a familiar looking Santa.

Well stocked and organized shelves are a lovely thing to behold. Your cabin is very cozy. Coffee is an absolute necessity. I alternate between the french press and a percolator and when electricity is abundant, a commercial Waring two-burner brewing station.

I look forward to your next post and updates.

Anonymous said...

Love the shelves!!

chevyvandweller said...

hope u insulate and add a larger vented Mr Heater soon

Al Jones said...

Shalom Trevor; I like your blog and would like to invite you over to take a look at my forum (( http://YourTerlingua.info )). I'm a newbie, just bought on TR so have nothing (not even the piece of paper yet!) but a definite desire to get on down to it!

I see musician, do you have a blog for the music side of you and I missed it or ... ???